A remarkable map, the earliest known of Newry, records the layout of the town which Bagenal set out in two parts fortifying it with earth banks and ditches. His 'New Castel' is prominent on the east side of the street in the larger, southern part. Many houses are shown, including substantial two-storey examples, as well as a church, probably the remains of the Abbey and an ancient tree stump (the revered yew?) with a bell hanging from it.
A Rent-Roll of 1575 records the names of all tenants by street and their fees at that time. Distinction is made between the High Street, Tenements within the Fort and the Irish Street without the fort. A tower and Castle of the town are also mentioned suggesting that they are separate from Bagenal's own castle.
In 1575 Lord Sydney visited the Bagenal residence in Newry and praised the 'well-planted' town, the increase in beauty and buildings and the wealth accruing to Bagenal from his tenants. Sydney also remarked on the impressiveness of his hospitality and his ability to provide for so many travellers 'his house lying in the open highway to their passage'.