Newry Cathedral

Newry CathedralThis is undoubtedly the most commanding building in the City centre and is arguably the most important work executed by Newry's greatest native architect Thomas Duff. Built in 1829 of local granite at a cost of £8,000, it was the first Catholic Cathedral opened after the granting of Catholic Emancipation. The interior marble work and mosaics took five years with craftsmen coming from Italy to undertake the work. The tower and transept were added in 1888 whilst in 1904 the nave was extended.