Building Notice Procedure

What Is It?

Anyone intending to carry out work to which Building Regulations apply must lodge an application with their local Building Control office - see Making an Application.

The building notice procedure allows work to be carried out without the submission of full plans.

It can be used for the following:

  • Internal alterations to a dwelling
  • Domestic extension less than 10m square in area
  • Roofspace conversion less than 3m square in area
  • Structural alterations to a dwelling, flat or maisonette
  • The provisions of services or installation of fittings to domestic properties (such as boiler replacements)
  • Houses in multiple occupation (HMO) (providing it meets criteria 1– 5 above)

Porch or conservatory loses exemption if:

  • No thermal separation from the existing dwelling
  • If the heating/cooling system is extended into it
  • If a fixed combustion appliance/cooling appliance is installed
  • Porch has no external door

It cannot be used for industrial or commercial buildings.

What you must do

Complete the Building Notice section on the standard application form available from your local Building Control Office, or alternatively, you may also download the application form from our website The form requires you to provide the following information:

  • The intended use of the building
  • A description of the work and its location
  • The proposed means of drainage
  • The materials to be used
  • The size of the building and its relationship to other buildings and to boundaries

A fee equal to the combined plan and inspection fee must be paid with the application.

You may also be asked to provide details or calculations concerning particular elements of the construction. It is not necessary to provide full plans but if you have had a set prepared it would be helpful to lodge them with the application.

Beginning work

As there will be no approved plans for your project you should select a builder who has a good knowledge of building practice and the Building Regulations. Ensure that Building Control received notice when the work is due to start and at particular stages as the work progresses. The work described in the Notice must be started within three years of the date of lodgement of the Notice.

A meeting with the Building Control Surveyor prior to the work starting is recommended to allow a programme of inspections to be agreed. When the work is satisfactorily completed you will receive a Completion Certificate.


  • You save the expense and time of having drawings prepared.
  • Upon receipt of a valid Notice the work can start almost immediately.
  • It is most suitable for small works.
  • There is less paperwork and more concentration on the work on site.
  • A Completion Certificate is available.


There will be no approved drawings. Lending Agencies often require these as a condition of a loan. In such circumstances you may need to make a full plans submission. Check with the lender.

The builder has no approved plan to work to. Any work that is found not to comply must be removed or made good - this may counter any savings made by not having full plans prepared.

Without approved drawings it will be difficult to compare tender prices from different builders.